Friday, July 29, 2016

Ebook Cover Evolution ...

I wanted to inject a light-hearted tone to this post, hence the photo of the fiance and I clowning on the Danish island of Bornholm.

I feel the designer and I have nearly reached the end of the rocky road of creating a good cover. At this point there are two images that I can't release. So, I'm having the designer work on both. She loves me. I have worked with her on several projects, and highly recommend her. You can find her on, and she goes by the name 'landofawes.'

 Here is the first finalist (left). The changes I want are to have the Mayan glyph fill the block. I'm also having the blood splatter removed, and the font of the title widened, and it should have the appearance of hammered metal. But again, I have the problem: in thumbnail size, does it convey a feeling, a message?  Is the knife image needed?

The favorite (right) is this image. The knife speaks with a loud voice. I've asked to have the glyphs take on a 3d look, and to have the font, widened, with hammered metal appearance, on this image too.  We have come a long way!  What do readers think? Let me know. Please give opinions, tips, feedback.

A day has passed and my designer has sent the covers with the asked for renditions. And, the winner is the cover with the single glyph. However, I did request a couple of more changes. I thought the font of the title should be larger, wider, and that would entail making 'The' smaller. I also asked for a trickle of blood running over the top of the stone and down the glyph on the left side, with a small light reflection in it. And ... that's all, folks!

*7-31-16   The final draft came in at about midnight, Pacific time. The font of the title has been enlarged a bit, and a blood trickle added. All in all, this image ended up costing me $210.00 for the fiverr designer, including a $38.00 tip, $52.00 to purchase the images from and So, $262 all total. I find that to be a hefty price for a struggling Indy author. Was it worth it? I'll find out in the months to come. The new title did get me away from the New Age type title of Touching Spirits, that kept some readers from committing. This has been another lesson on the rough writing road.

The book is free today and 8-1-16.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Making an Ebook Cover

I recently got tired of readers telling me they nearly didn't purchase my book, Touching Spirits, the Mayan Case, because it sounded like a new age book.

I didn't want anything hindering sales with my action/suspense novel, so I decided to not only change the title, but the cover as well. This led to two weeks of putting my graphic designer through hell, changing my mind, changing fonts, colors, and then chucking the entire idea and beginning anew.

This is where we were when I decided that in thumbnail size the cover was mostly empty space. The gun and badge are merely specks that small. This is not a meaningless consideration. 99.99% of potential buyers on Amazon will first see the cover that size. If you don't have something to make them stop and click to see it larger, they are gone, and so is a sale. So, I went back to the designer.

This is what the designer came up with--making the gun and badge larger. She zoomed in on them. But still it bothered me. I was irritable and the fiance felt it. That night she took me to Barnes & Noble's (known in my family as Barney's Noddles because of a four-year-old's mistake), and we ravished the suspense section of the book store. The help quietly moved away as we took stacks of books from their homes and laid them on the floor, so we could stand back and gawk. It worked. I came up with an idea.

And here we are ....  It is not the final, but I feel much better about it than the other layout or design. We are going to enlarge the knife, add some dripping blood, so that it becomes the focal point, and most likely add a background color. In general, we'll just play with it for a while until it pops. When the knife and the blood are larger, they will be clearly visible in thumbnail size.
I thought I'd throw this one in for a laugh. My designer threw everything in the refrigerator together to make this tasty casserole of a cover. 'The Frog Ruin.'