Friday, February 26, 2016

Paid Amazon Reviews





This is a difficult subject. I struggled with it for some time. Readers seem to follow the herd. If a book has a hundred reviews that are four or five stars, then it must be good.

Wrong. It has recently come to light that big name author John Locke, and others, paid for reviews. And those reviews led to Big Time sales. The author primed the pump, so to speak.

This is where I enter. I released a book in June, have given away a few hundred copies, sold about a hundred copies, paid for online promos, and beside the four friends who posted reviews, I have gotten ZERO reviews. If I had a few hundred reviews would it prime the pump of public opinion, would the masses deem me worthy? It worked for the authors mentioned.

I worked on my latest novel for three years. Are the works of the other authors that much better than mine? Maybe, but I doubt it. Or, as I suspect, did those authors buy success, acceptance, credibility?

It was tempting beyond measure. Every bit of me wants and craves success, to be read and loved, to earn a living for the years of toil, the untold classes and critiques, and books shoved into desk drawers, the sacrifice and work. "Yes! I want success!" But then that little word keeps popping up:Ethics. Ain't that a bitch?

Mom, Shera, and I, the poor but honest writer.
I just couldn't get around it. What to do? I called my sister, my 'oracle of Delphi.' Shera is a great writer who has chosen the traditional route. 'There is only truth,' she said. 'You are either in truth or not. Paying for reviews is not being in truth, and those authors, who paid for reviews may reap financial gain now, but there will be a price.'

I wanted to stomp and pound on walls, because it was not what I wanted to hear, but ... it was, I knew, the truth.

Kevin R. Hill is the author of two action/adventure novels on Kindle, and in paperback on Amazon. The images of his books you see in the sidebar are links to his books on Amazon. Thank you for reading! If you buy one of my books, "please," give it a review. That review means life or death for the writer. krh